Changing Your Sex Designation
Who May Apply
The Applicant must be:
- Born in Newfoundland and Labrador
- 16 (sixteen years of age) or older or;
- a parent or anyone having legal guardianship if the individual is under 16 years of age,
- Consent of other parent or
legal guardian; and consent from individuals 12 to 15 years.
Change of Sex designation – no fee
New Birth Certificate - $35.00, or $30.00 online
Applicants must provide:
- An application for a change of sex designation completed by the individual requesting the change, or their parent(s)/guardian(s) if the individual is under the age of 16.
- A written and notarized statement from the applicant, or parent(s)/guardian(s) if the applicant is under the age of 16, that the applicant/child has assumed, identifies with and intends to maintain the gender identity that corresponds with the change requested.
- A written statement from a prescribed professional that affirms they have treated, evaluated or consulted with the applicant/child and the applicant’s/child’s request is consistent with the sex designation with which the applicant/child identifies.
- If the applicant is under the age of 12 a statement from one additional
health professional is required.
- Where the applicant is under 16 and where original court orders to dispense with consent and/or guardianship have been issued, such orders are to be included with the application. (Section 2.1 of Change of Sex Designation - Under 16 Years of Age
- If documents submitted with the application are in a language other than English or French, the applicant must submit an official translation from a certified translator.
- Download the application form for applicants 16 years of age or older
- Download the application form for applicants under 16
- All short and long form birth certificates in the applicant’s possession issued prior to the change of sex designation must be returned to Vital Statistics Division, as they will no longer be valid.
How to Apply
Vital Statistics Division
149 Smallwood Drive
Mount Pearl, NL A1B 4J6
By mail addressed to:
Vital Statistics Division
P. O. Box 8700
St. John’s, NL A1B 4J6
The Vital Statistics Division collects personal information relating to births, deaths, marriages, adoptions and legal name changes,
under the authority of the following legislation: Vital Statistics Act, 2009; Marriage Act; Change of Name Act, 2009; Adoption Act,
2013; Children’s Law Act. Personal information collected by the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador is protected under the
Access to Information and Protection of Privacy Act, 2015. For more information please call (709) 729-3313.
Adobe® Acrobat® Reader software can be used for viewing PDF documents. Download Acrobat® Reader for free.