Legal Name Change
There are 4 types of legal name changes available:
- Adult Surname (with or without given name)
- Adult Given Name (only)
- Child Surname (with or without given name)
- Child Given Name (only)
To legally change your own name, you must be 19 years of age or older.
If you are under 19 years of age, a parent or legal guardian must complete the process.
All surname changes must be published in the Newfoundland gazette. Exceptions are as follows:
- When the applicant would be unduly prejudiced or embarrassed by the publication (Please provide details in sealed envelope)
- The change of surname applied for is of a minor character
- The applicant has been commonly known under the surname applied for (Please provide these pieces of documentation)
- Name Change $25.00
- New Birth Certificate $20.00
Complete list of fees.
The following documents are required:
- Birth certificate in the old name (a baptism certificate is acceptable if you were born in Newfoundland and Labrador and do not possess a birth certificate)
- Proper applications from each name change package as required.
In order to legally change your name in Newfoundland and Labrador, you must ordinarily be a resident of Newfoundland for at least 3 months. If otherwise, you must apply in your province of residence.
Applications are available at Vital Statistics.
For more information, call (709) 729-3308.