Service NL

Residential Tenancies (Landlords and Tenants)


Most Frequently Used Forms

^ Top of Page

For a Tenant While Renting

Find out who you have to contact to request repairs or who to contact in an emergency.

Ensure you have the landlord's address and telephone numbers.

Your responsibilities as a tenant:

  • Pay the rent on time. Landlords may charge a late fee of $5.00 for the first day the rent is in arrears and $2.00 for each additional day the rent remains in arrears to a maximum of $75.00;
  • Request a receipt for all rent and any security deposit paid;
  • Keep the rental unit clean at all times;
  • Take reasonable care not to damage the premises, and if damage does occur, repair the damage properly within a reasonable period of time. You are also responsible for damages done by people you allow on the premises;
  • Do not interfere with the peaceful enjoyment of others in the rental property or in any neighbouring properties;
  • Obey the landlord's reasonable rules and regulations;
  • You can sublet the premises only with the consent of the landlord;
  • Give the landlord a proper Termination Notice PDF (12 KB) before moving out of the rental premises; and
  • Do not disconnect services to the premises until the agreed upon moving out date.

If you have a problem with your rental unit, you may put your concerns in writing to the landlord or the landlord's agent. After a reasonable amount of time, if the problem is not corrected, you may Contact Our Office. If you are unable to resolve the problems, and they become a dispute with the other party, you can Start a claimPDF (611 KB). Please review our information sheet on Completing a Claim FormPDF (92 KB) to see if your dispute is covered by our Section.

^ Top of Page

For a Landlord while renting

A landlord must:

  • Provide the tenant with a written notice of the landlord's name, telephone number and address where documents may be served and, if you have an agent responsible for the residential premises, you must provide that person's name, telephone number and address. Immediately notify the tenant in writing of any change in this information during the tenancy;
  • Provide a written receipt for the rent and security deposit paid. The receipt should show the amount of rent received and for what period, the date it is received, and the address of the rental unit. The landlord is required to keep records of rent and security deposits received from tenants;
  • Investigate complaints from the tenants of disturbances or repairs as soon as possible and try to resolve the problem;
  • Not change or alter the lock or locking system during the tenancy without providing the tenant with a copy of the new key;
  • Make repairs and keep the rental unit in good condition;
  • Ensure the continual supply of essential services such as heat, water etc.;
  • Provide and maintain sufficient doors and locks to make a unit reasonably secure, and do not enter the rental unit without proper notice of entry, unless it's an emergency;
  • Allow a tenant to assign or sublet their rental unit if reasonable;
  • Give the tenant written Termination NoticePDF (12 KB) to vacate the rental unit; and
  • After the tenant moves out, refund the Security DepositPDF (68 KB) within 15 days after the termination of the rental agreement. When a security deposit is refunded, pay interest on the security deposit for the entire period the landlord had the security deposit. The Rate of InterestPDF (57 KB) is set by the Security Deposit Interest Regulations. You may use the Security Deposit Interest Rate Calculator.

^ Top of Page

When can I enter the rental unit?

A landlord shall not enter the rental unit without the consent of the tenant unless:

  • It is an emergency;
  • A termination notice has been given and a reasonable effort has been made to give 4 hours notice that the landlord wishes to show the unit;
  • It is at a reasonable time and with at least 24 hours written notice;
  • The tenant has abandoned the premises under Section 27 of the Act.

^ Top of Page

If you have a problem

If tenants or landlords have a problem, try talking first. If talking fails, we strongly suggest you put the problem in writing to the other party and keep a copy for yourself. Give the other side a reasonable chance to respond in writing to your comments.

If the problem continues, document the problem as best you can and then contact us for more information. If there are repairs that you require the tenant to complete, you should provide the tenant with a 24-hour Notice to Enter PremisesPDF and then give them at least 4 days to repair or clean up with a Notice to Effect RepairsPDF (7 KB). If after a reasonable amount of time the problem is not corrected, you should Contact Our Office for more Information on Notices of TerminationPDF (74 KB).

If you have a problem you cannot resolve, for landlords or tenants, you may wish to

Start a claimPDF (611 KB)
Completing a Claim FormPDF (92 KB).

Once your claim is registered, we will then try to mediate Mediation PDF (144 KB) your complaint on a voluntary, confidential and enforceable basis. If that is not successful, your claim may go to a Hearing PDF (77 KB) and adjudication. Again, to start this process, Contact Our Office to Start a Claim PDF (611 KB) and review Completing a Claim FormPDF (92 KB).

After you file your claim and a hearing date is set, you have to give a copy of your claim to the other party involved in the dispute. You will have to complete an Affidavit of Service PDF(124 KB). “to show you ‘served’ your Claim and Notice of Hearing on the other party. Once the claim has been served, during the time before the hearing, your claim will be assigned to a mediator who will try to contact both parties involved to see if the dispute can be resolved. A mediated agreement is voluntary, confidential and binding or enforceable on all parties involved.

If an agreement is not mediated, the matter would proceed to the hearing where you may put forward your evidence to support your claim and submit a Hearing Expense FormPDF (86 KB). A hearing officer will record the hearing and make a ruling in the matter. We try to notify all parties involved of the results within 14 days by registered mail. If you are not satisfied with the results and feel that you have grounds for reconsideration, you can file a Request for ReconsiderationPDF (90 KB) with Our Office.

^ Top of Page

Boarding Houses not covered, and more

Our authority does not apply to living accommodations that are:

  • occupied on a transient basis provided in a hotel, motel, inn, tourist home or hostel;
  • occupied as a vacation home for a seasonal or temporary period;
  • occupied by a person for penal, correctional, rehabilitative or therapeutic purposes;
  • provided to temporarily shelter persons in need;
  • in a hospital, nursing home or a home established to provide personal care for the aged;
  • provided by an educational institution to its students;
  • provided by a religious, charitable or non-profit organization for the purpose for which it is established;
  • provided by a cooperative housing corporation to its members who occupy the living accommodation;
  • attached to premises occupied for a business purpose where both are under a single rental agreement, unless the person occupying the living accommodation is someone other than the person occupying the premises for business purposes;
  • provided where the occupant is required to share a bathroom or kitchen facility with the owner who lives in the building in which the living accommodation is located, or in which meals or bed linens are provided (Boarding House);
  • a government agency that pays rent on behalf of a tenant;
  • governed by an attornment clause in a mortgage creating a security interest in residential premises;

^ Top of Page

Residential Tenancies Links

^ Top of Page

Applications, Forms, and Information Sheets

PDF Note: all links below are PDFs and will open in a new window.



Information Sheets

^ Top of Page

Adobe® Acrobat® Reader software can be used for viewing PDF documents. Download Acrobat® Reader for free. opens new window

Last Updated:
This page and all contents are copyright, Government of Newfoundland and Labrador, all rights reserved.